Show Review: King Diamond / Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats
Location: The Cleveland Agora
Date: Nov 15, 2019
King Diamond and his troops from the institute hit the Cleveland Agora this past weekend to scare the hell out of Cleveland. Not only did he scare people but they sold the Cleveland Agora out! Its’ been a long time since Cleveland has seen the King’s show and also baby Abigail.
It was indeed a King Diamond show to remember. Covering a bunch of tracks from his solo catalog, he delighted the crowd over and over again. The theatrics of the stage show captivated the new fans who have never seen him before. As a fan of King you knew he was going to have one bad ass stage show. With his top notch musicians (King Diamond, Andy LaRocque, Mike Wead, Matt Thompson, Pontus Egberg) at the wheel they were able to perform the tracks really close to what they sounded like on the albums. The power and the precise performance made it very special.
It was nice to hear his new song “Masquerade of Madness” performed, and the crowd at it all! It was sort of a bummer to not hear any classic Mercyful Fate, but all in all it was still King Diamond who infected our neighborhood on November 15th.
Opening the show was groove rockers Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats. They slowly worked the crowd into a frenzy for King Diamond. Such a great band with a powerful set. Definitely need to check these guys out at a venue near you when they are out your way.
1. “The Candle” (from Fatal Portrait, 1986)
2. “Behind These Walls” (from The Eye, 1990)
3. “Arrival” (from Abigail, 1987)
4. “A Mansion in Darkness” (from Abigail, 1987)
5. “Voodoo” (from Voodoo, 1998)
6. “Halloween” (from Fatal Portrait, 1986)
7. “Masquerade of Madness” (from the upcoming The Institute, 2020)
8. “Welcome Home” (From “Them,” 1988)
9. “The Invisible Guests” (From “Them,” 1988)
10. “Sleepless Nights” (from Conspiracy, 1989)
11. “The Lake” (from The Dark Sides, 1988)
12. “Burn” (from The Eye, 1990)
13. “Black Horsemen” (from Abigail, 1987)